Flexi Pages Widget version 1.5.7
- Ukrainian localization added. Thanks to the team at wpp.pp.ua for the translation.
- Support for user defined widget arguments before_pagelist and after_pagelist
before_pagelist and after_pagelist are widget arguments that can be defined in the functions.php of your theme. These arguments can be used, for example, if you want to enclose the pagelist within a <div> (thanks to SoFi for the tip).
Quotes Collection version 1.3.5
- Brazilian Portugese localization by Tzor More.
- Modifications in quotes-collection.js (for better debugging in case of error)
F2 WordPress theme version 1.0.5
- Dutch language localization by R. Helmes.
- Minor improvements (styling for
If you want to add your own customizations to a readymade WordPress theme downloaded from here or elsewhere, the most obvious way to do it is to directly edit the template files and style.css of the theme. But this method can lead to complications when the theme author updates the theme to a newer version. If you directly overwrite the files from the newer version, you will lose all your customizations. So, you will have to check every file of the new version for changes, and apply those changes to your customized files. This can be a demanding process especially if you are using a theme that’s updated frequently. Alternatively you may choose to skip the upgrade process, in which case you may miss out on important security updates.
This is where theme inheritance is such a versatile method to add your own customizations to a theme. Creating a child theme is as simple as creating a folder and putting a style.css file into it with a just a few lines of code. With theme inheritance, you don’t have to miss out on updates to the parent theme, and your customizations will never be overwritten.
For example, if you want to customize the F2 theme, here is how to do it. More
Flexi Pages Widget plugin is updated to version 1.5.6 with localization in German language. Thanks to Frank Hempel for the translation.
F2 WordPress theme updated to version 1.0.4.
- Localization in Tamil language by Ravi. ஆம், தமிழ் வலைப்பதிவுகளிலும் பயன்படுத்த ஏதுவாகியுள்ளது F2. அழகிய தமிழில் மொழிபெயர்த்தவர் ரவி.
- Support for custom.css.
The second point needs some explanation. When you customize the theme by directly editing the style.css file, you will lose your customizations when the theme is upgraded to a newer version. For this reason, it is advised that you create a file named ‘custom.css’ and put in all CSS customizations into that file, leaving style.css unchanged. The filename ‘custom.css’ is important as this file will be automatically included when WP loads.
Update on 2009-09-18: It seems that even the custom.css file gets deleted on upgrades. Therefore, custom.css should be backed up before upgrades. Also refer to this post for a better method to customize your theme: Using theme inheritance to customize your theme
F2 WordPress theme updated to version 1.0.3 with localization in Traditional Chinese (zh_TW). Thanks to Mingyao Chuang for the translation.
Flexi Pages Widget plugin for WordPress updated to version 1.5.5.
- Support for localization added. Russian localization included (thanks to Fat Cow for the translation).
- Roll back to `wp_list_pages()` function. Because `wp_page_menu()` seems not to work properly in some themes.
F2 WordPress theme updated to version 1.0.2.
- Added localization in German and Indonesian languages. Turkish updated.
- Support for rtl languages added (rtl.css)
- Improvements (sticky post, min-width)
Thanks to Stephan Jaschke for the German translation, and Masino Sinaga for localizing the theme in Bahasa Indonesia.